Monday, March 13, 2006

Ain't No Sunshine When He's On.

A big welcome to all of you Sebastian Telfair fans, wherever you may be. The screening of Through the Fire on ESPN last night, coupled with Jason Quick’s piece on ESPN.com seems to be responsible for a slight up-tick in traffic, especially from those of you Google searching the phrase “Sabastian Telfair.” Now if I could just find a producer to finance my Viktor Khyrapa/Ha Seung-Jin buddy picture. In it, Ha and Viktor are a highly-trained counter-terrorism team fighting Islamic separatists in Viktor’s native Ukraine, while also combating a growing communist nuclear threat in Ha’s native South Korea. It’s going to be awesome, I swear.

You want to know what else is awesome? Beating the Phoenix Suns at the Rose Garden, especially after the thrashing they put the Blazers through the last time these two teams crossed paths. It seems I was one game early in predicting the Blazers would beat a far superior team at home, but it’s better late than never. Of course, being tardy to the pre-game did keep Zach out of the starting line-up, but it didn’t keep him from scoring 32 points and, even more impressively, grabbing 14 rebounds against an athletic Suns team. Steve Blake also managed to cancel out the reigning league MVP by scoring 18 and dishing out 13 assists, without a single turnover. Take that, you uppity Canadians.

There were a few factors that allowed the Blazers to win this one. First off, the Suns are a little gimpy at the moments. Only eight guys played for Mike D’Antoni last night, so fatigue has to factor in. It was also fortuitous for the Blazers that the officials seemed to have consumed their whistles, as the referee team of Bennett Salvatore, Matt Boland, and Rodney Mott assessed only 27 fouls, which resulted in only 23 fouls shots being taken in total by both teams. Anytime the Blazers can stay out of a foul shooting contest, they stand a chance of winning. Well, maybe not necessarily of “winning” but at least they stand a chance of not getting blow out, which is a win in my book.

In other news, Paul Allen has broken his silence regarding the current argle-bargle over his request for a public/private partnership to keep the Blazers afloat. Call me a curmudgeon, but I’ve already made up my mind, and ain’t no fancy worded internet posting going to change it.

5 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger chunkstyle23 said...

I didn't see the whole thing, but it made me reconsider wanting Bassy to be a bust. My "Enough About NYC PGs Already" campaign is plenty vindicated by Marbury's utter failure to win anywhere other than the Rucker.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Lance Uppercut said...

Vindicated indeed. If Bassy had the same attitude as Marbury, I'd be rooting against him as well. If it makes you feel any better, Eric Barkley was a bust as well.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger BlazerBandit said...

Biggest difference in the game: Bench points. Blazers bench outscored the Suns 71-18!! I know Zach didn't start b/c he was late but that has got to be some kind of record

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Lance Uppercut said...

Great point Bandit. Talk about a perfect storm: Zach coming off the bench having a monster game, and the Suns only having 3 players coming off the bench, period, equals a severe difference in bench scoring. I'll take it any way I can get it.

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out blogging and found your site. It certainly got my attention and interest. I was looking for Pants information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home